The Global Public Policy Network (GPPN) is a partnership between Columbia University, the Business Administration School of S?o Paulo at the Getulio Vargas Foundation, the University of Tokyo, the Hertie School, the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, the Institute of Public Affairs at LSE and Sciences Po, Paris. GPPN is global in two ways: Its membership enjoys a global spread and it focuses on emerging global trends in public policy.
The mission of GPPN is to address the most pressing public policy challenges of the 21st century and, as a result, to have policy impact, to be influential in public policy education and training, as well as to be innovative in teaching and research.
GPPN aims to develop a network of schools with the following guiding principles:
- A commitment to and a proven track record of excellence in public policy research, education, and public dialogue with a global orientation
- A strong orientation towards public service that extends to the non-governmental and private sectors as well as the public sector
- A firm foundation in the social sciences, which provide the basic analytical tools with which global public policy scholars and professionals seek to understand the world, address social problems, and design and evaluate policy interventions
- A strong emphasis on substantive policy knowledge and the link between evidence and policymaking that goes beyond general and technocratic training
- A strong global orientation that recognises the ways in which policymaking crosses national boundaries and is shaped by an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world
The GPPN schools rotate annually to organise a joint conference where student teams from each member school compete for the best proposed solution to an important public policy problem. Students showcase their idea to a jury consisting of the leadership of the seven GPPN member universities. The conference also includes a programme for GPPN university presidents and deans, where they meet and discuss topics relevant to public policy higher education around the world.
The next GPPN conference will be hosted at the Hertie School on the 5th and 6th of March 2022.